From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:04:19 -0600
Subject:        need help with scale in pas geometriques
Date:   Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:09:43 -0700
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>

Hi there,
I'm a rare book cataloger, who recently started working with
cartographic materials.
I typically work with atlases, so scale is hardly ever an issue. But,
when it is, I often have to
convert foreign and/or archaic units, a bit challenging to say the least
I'm pretty much a novice, so please bear with me.

I am trying to supply the RF for bar scale given in pas geometriques,
for maps from La Caille's Description de la ville et des fauxbourgs de
Paris,
(1967 facsim of 1714 ed)

The maps that show scale have 2 bar scales that vary between 2 1/8-2 1/4
in. in length.
Top one reads "quatre cents pas geometrique", the one under it reads
"mil pas communs".
According to my research 1 pg = 5.33 ft /63.96 in
and 1 pc = 2.66 ft / 31.98 in.
An in on the pg bar scale = approx 180 pg
So if I multiply 180 x 63.96, I get 1:11,513.
Am I totally off here?

Any help would be *really* appreciated.

-Silvana