From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:44:37 -0500
Subject: Re: Upside down maps]]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:42:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Lily Wai <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
The latest discussion on this topic reminded me about the shock I
encountered to see a world map published by western world when I first
came to this country 40 or some years ago.  From grade school through
college, all the world maps or atlases published in China that I came in
contact with always had China in the middle of the world (Middle
Kindom...).  And, then the western world maps split China into two
separate pieces and the North America and United States is the "middle
kindom!" with Atlantic Ocean connecting western Europe and the Americas.
Lily

Lily Wai, INSIDE Idaho Project Director   Phone: 208-885-6344
Professor, Head of Government Documents   Fax:   208-885-6817
University of Idaho Library (0135)        E-Mail:[log in to unmask]
Rayburn Street                            http://www.lib.uidaho.edu/govdoc
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2353                  http://inside.uidaho.edu