From:
April Carlucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 12:30:40 EDT
     To my fellow MAGERT members, and other interested parties:

     Having disappeared into the great beyond--or at least the other side
     of the Atlantic--I thought I would take the opportunity of the
     impending MAGERT meetings in the Windy City to send greetings and best
     wishes to my American colleagues.

     As you know (if only from the yet again re-posted job description, a
     job I recommend highly) I gave up my position as Assistant Chief of
     the Map Division at The New York Public Library to move to London, a
     dream I've had for many years. When I first arrived last September, I
     was cataloguing maps (as well as fighting with the vertical storage
     cabinets) at the Geological Society of London. But, since April, I'm
     now at the British Library Map Library, cataloguing 20th century
     mapping from all over the world, donated to the BL by the Ministry of
     Defense Library. It is certainly some of the most remarkable
     cartographic material I've ever seen--and so much of it! I can't
     believe my good fortune, and am thoroughly enjoying myself. The map
     community here is a very busy one, and has been most welcoming,
     although I do miss my friends at home.

     I know that at the last MAGERT Executive Board meeting in Chicago
     members will rightfully thank Nan Butkovich for her work this year as
     Chair. Please remember that she has done it all without the help of
     her Past-Chair (who took a runner to London!), and be sure to make
     that vote of thanks to Nan loud enough to include me. As my British
     friends would say, "Well done, Nan."

     Again, my best wishes to all, and do keep in touch. I promise that
     eventually I will write down all my adventures in the UK map world for
     you (Charley Seavey has heard that before!), because it's fascinating!

     April Carlucci              [log in to unmask]
     The British Library Map Library
     Great Russell Street
     London  WC1B 3DG  England