From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:34:56 EST
2 messages.---------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:17:53 -0700 (MST)
>From: Sol Katz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: (GIS-L) LULC map layers

all i can offer is a a lulc to dlg translator at

  ftp://ftp.blm.gov/pub/gis/g2d.zip

sol--    [log in to unmask]    303-236-0101

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Michael R. Meuser wrote:

> Hello - I have downloaded 1:100,000 usgs LULC (landuse) layers.  I am
> not sure yet what year's data these are or if other years are
> available.  Has anyone had experience with these maps and also know
> the availabililty (over the internet hopefully) of same?  I'm looking
> for several layers within the period 1960 through 1990 of Santa Clara
> County.
>
> thnx
>
> Mike Meuser

> send email To: [log in to unmask] | send email To: [log in to unmask]
> In the BODY, type: SUBSCRIBE GIS-L   | In the BODY, type: UNSUBSCRIBE GIS-L

>Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 11:26:38 -0500
>From: Janet S.C. Tilley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: (GIS-L) LULC map layers -Reply

Here's a web site that has info about USGS LULC data, once you're there,
scroll to the bottom and select 1:250,000-Scale and 1:100,000-Scale Land
Use and Land Cover (LULC):
http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/doc/edchome/ndcdb/ndcdb.html

In the mean time, here's some other info:
The USGS LULC data, GIRAS, is of the 1970's vintage.  It covers the
Nation at a scale of 1:250,000, except along the coast in certain areas
where it is 1:100,000-scale.  It was hand compiled from aerial
photography at a scale of 1:125,000-scale.  It took about 10 years to
complete the Nation for LULC, so the date of the different areas will
vary as some time in the 1970's.  We used the Anderson Classification
system, Professional Publication 964.  Our ESIC (Earth Science
Information Center) map sales, also sells the hard copy version of the
GIRAS data, and on the hard copy the date of the photography should be
available.  Call 1800-USA-MAPS to order the one you need, you could also
ask for Prof. Paper 964 and Prof Paper 1059, which discusses the GIRAS
data in further detail.  The date of the photography should be on the
hard copy.

The EPA downloaded all USGS 1:250,000-scale GIRAS data and made them
available in  ARC/INFO covers at the following ftp site:
ftp.epa.gov
cd /pub/EPAGIRAS

To the best of my knowledge, we don't have anything, except a few LULC
research products here and there in the US after the 1970's.

        U.S. Geological Survey
        Janet Tilley, Research Cartographer
        521 National Center
        Reston, VA   20192