From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger L Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:00:15 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:27:03 -0400
From: Roger L Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: city elevations <fwd>
Sender: Roger L Payne <[log in to unmask]>

We know that Topozone uses GNIS data exclusively, and Mapquest probably
does as well.

Manager GNIS
703.648.4544

                    Johnnie
                    Sutherland             To:     [log in to unmask]
                    <jsutherl@arche        cc:
                    s.uga.edu>             Subject:     Re: city elevations <fwd>
                    Sent by: Maps
                    and Air Photo
                    Systems Forum
                    <MAPS-L@LISTSER
                    V.UGA.EDU>

                    07/18/01 03:06
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to Maps and Air
                    Photo Systems
                    Forum

Here are four replys to the city elevations question.
Moderator

XXXXXXXXXX Message 1 XXXXXXXXXXX

Use the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).  The URL is
<http://geonames.usgs.gov>.  Click on U.S. and Territories, and then type
the name in the name box, and select State for faster return although it's
not necessary.  Click on the name in the columnar return to view the entire
entry.  The elevation is present for most entries classified as populated
place.

Roger L. Payne manager GNIS
703.648.4544

Roger L Payne <[log in to unmask]>

XXXXXXXXXXXX Message 2 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks to everyone who suggested GNIS -- I'd checked there first, but it
turns out the first two on the patron's list (one of which was Sitka, AK;
the other I don't recall) didn't have elevations in GNIS, so I didn't
realize they were included for most cities. I just needed a bigger sample
set...

Jenny Stone Muilenburg
University of Washington Libraries

XXXXXXXXXXX Message 3 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The Topozone at http://www.topozone.com seems to have the elevation of
most places in the US.

Marcel Fortin
GIS/Map Librarian
University of Toronto

XXXXXXXXXX Message 4 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Jennifer,
USGS has elevations of the 50 largest cities at;
<http://mac.usgs.gov/mac/isb/pubs/booklets/elvadist/elvadist.html#50>
World Roof has a similar chart.

MapQuest has a elevations for a large number of US cities. If you type in
the city and the correct state it comes up with a topo map. However, if you
only type in the city name it comes up with a list of possibilities along
with their elevations when known.
Check under the link named 'find a topographic map' in the 'what's new'
section
<http://mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_find?link=bmisc/new_features&event=no_map>

A site called World index does a fabulous job of the whole thing but for
some strange reason the USA is not included in their data. (a least I can't
find it)
<http://www.calle.com/world/>

OR saving the best to last
How about the USGS Geographic Names Information System ....
<http://geonames.usgs.gov/>

Dale Smith
Serge A. Sauer Map Library
Department of Geography, SSC 1051