From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Campbell, Tony
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:22:00 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:56:38 -0000
From: "Campbell, Tony" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Listing of map image sites
Sender: "Campbell, Tony" <[log in to unmask]>

[posted to MapHist, Maps-L, lismaps, carta, carto-soc, LIBER GdeC]

Announcing < http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/webimages.html > 'Images of early
maps on the web'.

This is the first systematic listing of web sites containing early map
images. While some sites are well known, others can be found only with
difficulty.  Please notify me - now or later on - of any omissions or
mistakes.  This new page is the companion to <
http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/webtexts.html > 'Web articles and commentaries on
specific topics in the History of Cartography'. Both contain several hundred
links.  Both form part of the 100-page 'Map History' site, the gateway to
the subject - which celebrates its official fourth birthday today.

If you have a moment, please take a look at the explanatory page <
http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/aboutim.html > 'ABOUT the listing of early map
image sites on the web (and about web images in general)'.   I would
appreciate suggested improvements to this text, especially to the 'Technical
matters' sub-sections.

The last two sub-sections - 'A plea to map image hosts' and 'The future? -
issues and suggestions' - are intended to be provocative.  Please be
provoked!  I am arguing, for example, that map image sites should have a
clear purpose, present maps in sufficient detail for every single name to be
legible, be provided with helpful internal navigation, and, for the larger
sites at least, have their own index.  Webmasters also have an irritating
habit of moving their pages, without leaving a 'forwarding address' behind.
The majority of the sites I list fail on one, or several, of those counts.
Others are, rightly, loaded with praise.  I also touch (again!) on the
question of an overall index to *individual* images. This is a listing of
*sites*.

If you subscribe to more than one of the lists given at the head of this
message, please accept my apologies.  If you feel like responding publicly,
rather than off-list, MapHist would be the best place to do this.

Tony Campbell, Map Librarian
British Library Map Library
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB
UK

Phone: 020 7412 7525   International:  +44 20 7412 7525
Fax:     020 7412 7780   International:  +44 20 7412 7780
-------
Please bookmark and PROVIDE LINKS to:-

1. The British Library Map Library homepage:
     http://www.bl.uk/collections/maps

2. Map History / History of Cartography: THE Gateway to the Subject:
     http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/
--- End Forwarded Message ---