From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:37:20 -0500
Subject:        Re: Determining Rare Maps
Date:   Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:26:52 -0400
From:   Fry, Michael <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Carlos,
I don't mean to sound flippant, but I don't think you should worry about
what's "rare" as much as what's useful to the CWU community. I don't
think "rare" by itself is all that meaningful in a library setting
unless, perhaps, you're concerned about how much effort to put into
finding new owners for that stuff (for whom "rare" might be a genuine
selling point). Otherwise, decide whether it's beneficial to your users
to have access to print copies of the atlas folios, 15-minute topos,
etc. Those things are increasingly available online (e.g., Texas A&M's
digital collection of atlas folios at
http://repository.tamu.edu/handle/1969.1/2490), so the information they
contain is increasingly ubiquitous, not rare. The artifacts themselves
are increasingly rare, but it's all relative. And so what? You are a
library, not a museum and not, for the most part, an archive. (I've
forgotten a lot of my FDLP rules & regs, but I don't think you're
legally obligated to keep any govdocs you acquired outside of the FDLP.
And since you joined in 1962, I think that would necessarily include the
atlas folios and 15-minute maps if not that "experimental" USGS map.)

I'm not trying to discourage you from keeping those things, nor do I
mean to sound uncaring about the artifacts themselves. (If you decide to
weed, I certainly hope you will make every effort to find a good home
for whatever you withdraw.) When at U-Md., I put a lot of effort into
collecting and conserving every 15-minute map of Maryland and DC I could
get my paws on. College Park is the state's flagship university, so it
seemed inconceivable to me that we wouldn't have a solid, if not
comprehensive, print collection of the earliest USGS topos of our own
state. I would do that all over again in a heartbeat, on principle if
nothing else. (If we didn't do it, who would?) OTOH, my effort to
collect a full set of the atlas folios would be harder to justify again
given the low use they saw. They are historic and useful, but did U-Md.
need the folios from Montana, Kansas, or Michigan? That can and should
be debated.

Good luck. I hate weeding. I especially hate weeding old things whose
value, if not rarity, I often feel unqualified to assess. And that
happens a lot!

mf

--
Michael Fry
Senior Map Librarian

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Angie Cope, American Geographical