From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 09:05:45 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:13:36 -0500 (CDT)
From: Doralyn H Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
    [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: Wessex has been bought out

This message has been posted to several lists--please forgive any
duplication.

I thought I'd pass along this information for others who use Wessex and
BLR products.

Many of you using GIS applications may have purchased items (such as
Streets, Streets and Boundaries, Pro/Filer) from the Wessex company (which
later became a division of the BLR company).  I found out today that GDT,
Geographic Data Technology, Inc announced on 9/1/98 that they bought out
both Wessex and BLR. This takeover was apparently not expected by BLR or
Wessex.  The majority of employees from BLR and Wessex were fired.  The
GDT website says that Wessex will operate as a separate division of GDT,
and that GDT will "retain the Wessex name and product line."

My conversations with employees at GDT, BLR, and Wessex leave me somewhat
skeptical of what the future Wessex products will contain and in what
format.

Tech. support for BLR and Wessex products is being handled by GDT--since
they haven't had experience with these products, I'm sure you can imagine
that this support isn't immediately helpful (they take your name, try to
find the answer, and call you back).

If you look at the GDT website at:
http://www.geographic.com/news/blrpr.htm
you'll see more information about this takeover.  I know that this is the
nature of business at times, but I hate to see a good group of people (in
my experience) at Wessex and BLR go.

Doralyn

Doralyn H. Edwards                 phone: (713)737-5691
GIS/Data Librarian                 fax:   (713)285-5902
GIS/Data Center, Fondren Library   email: [log in to unmask]
Rice University, Houston, TX       www:   http://is.rice.edu/~doralyn