From:
Angela R Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:00:46 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Nikolas R. Schiller" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps-L
Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:19:54 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Sunday is the last day to see the Maps exhibit in Baltimore

Friends,

This e-mail is a brief reminder that this Sunday is the last day to
see the largest & most important collection of maps currently display
in the United States.  Anyone living on the East Coast of the United
States can take the Amtrak train to Baltimore this weekend and walk
10 minutes down Charles Street to the Walters Museum and check out
the exhibit.  I *highly* recommend going before it's too late!
http://www.amtrak.com

If you are unable to make it, I made a Google Earth layer for the
Walters Museum last year that features some of the maps on display
overlaid on to the surface of the Earth.  However, I'll be honest,
nothing compares to seeing the maps up close!  The staff at the
Walters Museum also produced a second layer for Google Earth which
shows the artifacts & artwork in their permanent collection displayed
in Google Earth.

http://www.thewalters.org/maps/world.html
http://www.thewalters.org/maps/ge/world_at_walters.zip [Google Earth
layer]
http://www.thewalters.org/maps/ge/maps_findingourplace.zip  [Google
Earth layer]

====/====

I am proud to share a little discovery I made because of my
experience at the Walters Museum:
http://www.nikolasschiller.com/blog/index.php/archives/2008/04/11/1360/

Also, a couple weeks ago I made "A New & Arabesque Map of the
Hirshhorn Museum" which features the border from Willem Janszoon
Blaeu’s "Nova totius terrarum orbis geographica ac hydrographica
tabula," which was published in Amsterdam in 1606.  I can now add
this beautiful 400-year-old border to any of my previously made maps
to create a retro/future decorative map.  Think about it about the
possibilities...
http://www.nikolasschiller.com/blog/index.php/archives/2008/05/23/1403/

Lastly, I hope you've made it to Artomatic.  My exhibit is up until
June 15th!
Did you see everything when you were there last?  I dissected the
base map for you:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50898153@N00/2529435579/

Cheers,
Nikolas R. Schiller
Washington, DC
#202-460-0032
http://nikolasschiller.com

ps
I submitted a book proposal this week.
Maybe I will have good news for you in the next e-mail!
(or not..... but think happy thoughts for me okay?)

____reply with REMOVE to not get another e-mail from me___