From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:10:12 -0500
Subject:        Maps in High Density Facilities
Date:   Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:06:57 -0400
From:   Mcauliffe,Carol P <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Maps-L,

The University of Florida is currently planning a high density facility
for use by all 11 state university libraries in the state of Florida.
We are considering putting map cases within the shelving of this
facility but I would like to poll the group first to see how other
institutions are handling this sort of issue.

Does anyone in this group have maps in a high density facility? Do you
have actual map cases in your facility? Are they special cases made to
fit into HD shelving? Or just a regular old map case and the HD shelving
just starts above the case?

And how is access provided? Is each and every map barcoded? Or do you
use big acid free folders, place a relatively limited number of maps
into each AF folder and then only barcode the folder?

How do you deliver them to your patrons? Tubed?  Flat in a stiffened case?

Are the patrons using the maps only back at your main campus or do you
deliver maps within your state and/or region?

We would be very grateful for any information people would like to
share.  Thank you in advance!

~Carol McAuliffe

*Carol McAuliffe**,* Map Librarian
Map and Imagery Library, Spatial Information Services Unit
Government Documents Department
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
(352) 273-2828 _
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>_