From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:36:27 -0500
------- Original Message --------
Subject:        RE: GIS and libraries
Date:   Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:11:29 +0100
From:   Fleet, Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Martin,

Given your kind words about my rather dull, if worthy, article in
e-perimetron on this, I thought I should at least send a reply to yours.

Without remembering the specific circumstances of what information you
have already about the Australian imperial series mapping - especially
whether you have access to sheet-edge coordinates? - I do think that
coordinate-based retrieval would have most to offer, whether you use
these in a GIS or not.

Within the last few years, I think the opportunities for creating sheet
indexes with coordinates in dynamic applications have steadily grown, in
addition to using a GIS like ArcGIS or Mapserver and dynamic indexes. I
wanted to mention a few of these, in case helpful, though you may well
know of them. In general, I feel that whatever short term software you
use, there is a real long-term value of focusing on coordinates /
georeferenced maps for future retrieval, especially for a large map
series. Clickable HTML indexes have a much more limited potential, in my
opinion.

In the United Kingdom, following Ed Fielden's very helpful publication
of sets of coordinates for historic Ordnance Survey mapping -
http://www.fieldenmaps.info/ - effectively the basis for the CCS
Sheetfinder application - http://http://www.fieldenmaps.info/  - we've
been able to make use of these to form graphic indexes for our old OS
maps series, eg. http://maps.nls.uk/os/oneinch_1st_graphic.html   This
effectively uses Javscript and KML, but no GIS, and works well for
smaller series.

The release of some free mapping from Ordnance Survey in April this year
has also allowed new applications for series maps, including The
National Archives' Valuation Office maps:
http://labs.nationalarchives.gov.uk/wordpress/index.php/2010/04/valuatio
n-office-map-finder/#more-11  Again, the basis for this is a shapefile
or set of coordinate boundaries, linked to a database of holdings, but
no GIS. The background mapping and system could easily change in future,
but the main thing is the coordinates and sheet metadata.

I don't know if you know of Klokan Petr Pridal's MapRank search system:
http://demo.mapranksearch.com/  ? This is a prototype, which will no
doubt be developed further, but shows the great potential of a graphic
(and temporal) interface to searching map records (including series
maps) once their coordinate extents are known. Petr's online
Georeferencer application - http://www.georeferencer.org/  - may also be
of interest. Rather like New York Public Library's Map Rectifier, this
focuses on crowdsourcing to help georeference. Petr's Georeferencer is
able to dynamically use existing zoomable maps from libraries - rather
like our NLS maps that we hope to publicise soon, the NLA maps can also
be ingested into Georeferencer:
http://www.georeferencer.org/map/3T58S5MtCIBQYZAPGlqa7X/ . Given how
successful the Australian historic newspapers digitisation and
crowdsourcing has been, is there an opportunity to enlist online
collaboration for your project? The Cartomundi project also offers a
collaborative approach to accessing online series mapping
http://cartomed.mmsh.univ-aix.fr/index_EN.html

Anyway, just a few thoughts. Would be interested to hear of your
progress.

All good wishes,

Chris

Chris Fleet