From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 11:23:09 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: expanding cutters.
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005
From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Jon,

Looks like Ken, Mary, and Phil have handled this question well. Thank you
Ken for mentioning the chapter in my book that touches on this too. Let me
note here that LC practice is to not use the digit "1" (one) when expanding
cutters or even creating them, though there are places in the geographic
area code list on Classification Web where they've had to go this route
simply out of maintaining the logical alphabetical names order in the
database. So, for instance, if you need to expand a ".U5" author cutter to
the next level you should jump to ".U52" next.

That said, I have found over time that the longest expansion I've had to
deal with is three cutter numbers. These numbers are derived from the "LC
Basic Cutter Table" which I believe is on Cataloger's Desktop and is a part
of the LC Subject Cataloging Manual. Typically, by the time you get to the
date of situation in the call number it is different enough to delineate
between two items that would have the same/similar call number. But not
always, as is the case in the United States where so many of our maps are
generated from federal agencies, and those agencies' authorized names begin
with "United States," which creates the conflicts. The CIA maps in
particular have this problem because the CIA generates two types of maps
for each title produced, one without shaded relief and one with shaded
relief. Generally speaking, the shaded relief is not enough of a
distinction between the two to give those with shaded relief a subject
cutter, although one could technically do this and it would solve the
duplicate call numbers for these. Most collections like to keep the two
"versions" of each title for a country or region together in the drawers
though, meaning looking at "breaking the tie" in generating non-duplicate
call numbers by expanding the author cutter.

Mary and Jon touched on the method of adding a lower-case letter to either
the date of situation or the author cutter. This particular LC scheme comes
out of the LC Subject Cataloging Manual: Shelflisting and they have
specific meaning according to how they are used. I'm sorry I cannot provide
more specifics as we are in the midst of transitioning to the newest
version of Cataloger's Desktop right now and I don't have access to it. I
guess what I'm saying here is to go and find out how these alpha-letter
designations are supposed to be used before applying them in this context.

Paige