From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:24:35 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 98 09:41:57 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Topographic maps (fwd)

     Amy: We at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography Library have not
     bought into the "catalog everything mania" sweeping the world. We do
     not catalog maps & charts.  For retrieval purposes it is not
     necessary.  However, we do at least arrange things using the LC "G"
     Schedule for maps (topographic, geologic, etc.) so things in map
     drawers at least follow an established geographic sequence. But
     putting a call number on each and every sheet is not really useful for
     retrieval; use indexes by USGS for that.

     - PML