From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:09:12 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:28:17 -0500
From: David Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: CORC and the Dublin Core
Sender: David Allen <[log in to unmask]>

     Our library is planning to participate in the CORC Project.  (This is a
project sponsored by OCLC that, among other things, integrates Dublin Core and
standard MARC cataloging records in a Web searchable database.)  I am planning
to work with our cataloging team to create records for cartographic materials
for this database using the Dublin Core standard.  (For those of you who are not
librarians, this is a  form of brief cataloging.)  I am particularly concerned
with cataloging historical maps and digital images of old maps.  I hope that we
can find a way to do this that is simple enough for non-catalogers at
institutions like historical societies to make their collections accessible via
the Web.

     I would very much like to hear from other librarians working in this
area--i.e. those of you who have cataloged or plan to catalog materials in
Dublin Core format, or those who plan to participate in the CORC project or
similar projects.  I am sure we can learn from each others experiences, and hope
we can work together to formulate some common standards for brief map
cataloging.  Please reply directly to me unless you have something to say that
you think would be of interest to the entire list.

--- End Forwarded Message ---