From:
Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2017 05:16:53 +0000
Megan,

1. Whatever feels comfortable to carry on one arm, and lift into/out of the drawer.  It depends on the size and paper type of the map. I just put an arm under the folder and try o lift it., and if it feels too heavy, then decant half the maps into a second folder.
2. n/a see above
3.  We use flat cabinets only. Hanging maps can cause them to buckle or tear.
4. Again it depends on map size, paper type and  on what is in the drawer.  1-5 drawer-sized folders works best. Where we use half-drawer sized folders, then double that.  I try to keep any particular series or theme of maps together in a folder, but where there are few sheets in several consecutive themse/series, then put them all in a single folder. This simplifies drawer labelling if I can say:
   Series X, sheets 1-100; or
  Europe physical, bio & human geography; or
  Fiji, Kiribati, Tuvalu.

And we tend to leave space in drawers containing incomplete or open series for extra sheets to be acquired. The only chockers drawers are where we have a large, closed/complete series, particularly where it's been digitised.

Brendan Whyte
National Library of Australia