From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:23:48 EST
2 messages.----------------Johnnie

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 97 15:44:07 -0600
>Subject: Re: Digital Chart of the World (fwd)

     We got our copies of the 4 VMAP cd's as a regional GPO depository.

> >Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:29:14 EST
> >Sender: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
> >From: Lee Harvey Blotto <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject:      Digital Chart of the World
> >
> >----------------------------Original
> message----------------------------
> >Greetings, fellow map librarians and enthusiasts.
> >My question today has to do with the Digital Chart of
> >the World, a product of the Defense Mapping Agency, or
> >whatever it's called now.  From the FGDC Manual of
> >Federal Geographic Data Products, it's available from
> >the US Geological Survey in Colorado; however, my
> >information is old (pre-1992) and doesn't include a
> >price.  Does anybody know if that's still the contact
> >point to obtain the DCW, and what the price is?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.

>Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 18:40:36 -0500 (EST)
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: DCW data

DCW has been renamed. It is now called "Vector Map level 0" or just "VMAP".
Though this is referred to as a major revision, it is only a trivial revision
of the original DCW. IF you already have DCW, there's really no significant
reason to get VMAP. It is worth noting that there are a few adequate
Windows-based utilities for viewing the files and extracting the data in
ASCII (text) format available online --these utilities also work on the
original DCW disks though with frequent bugs and crashes. The "Defense
Mapping Agency" has also been rebranded. It's now called the "National
Imagery and Mapping Agency". Their web site is http://www.nima.mil. See the
"publications" page for a brief description of VMAP and ordering information.
The phone numbers listed are not correct (last I checked) but if you call
them, they'll get you the right phone number. The price for VMAP is about $80
--cheap enough at least.

-Frank E. Reed
http://www.clockwk.com/fer