From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:24:12 -0500
Subject: Favorite Map Quote
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:48:11 -0600
From: "Youngblood, Dawn" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Maps Colleagues;

Today, someone shared their favorite quote about maps, so I thought I'd
add in my two cents.  At the last meeting of the Texas Map Society (a
wonderful organization, by the way), a historian reported he had
discovered the following note hand written on an 1832 map of Texas
purchased in Indiana:

My name is Tom Johnson
this is my knife (picture of bowie knife)
Take my map
and I'll take your life!

Certainly Mr. Johnson must have fit in very well with Texans of his day.
It also demonstrates how important maps were to such intrepid voyagers.
Best. Dawn

Dr. Dawn Youngblood,
Ph.D Archaeology
Edwin J. Foscue Map Library