From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara J Story <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:47:03 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:16:43 -0500
From: Barbara J Story <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: East Timor
Sender: Barbara J Story <[log in to unmask]>

     As a result of Naomi Heiser's question about the classification
of a map titled "Indonesia, Timor," we double checked and realized
that the map was inadvertently classed under the province of East
Timor.  We have corrected our record and classed the map under G8195
with the corresponding subject added entry of Timor Island
(Indonesia).

      Another message on MAPS-L indicated that East Timor is no
longer part of Indonesia.  The authority record for East Timor
(n80062452) was just updated by the Cataloging Policy and Support
Office of LC.  The authority record includes the following note:  "Do
not establish the independent state of East Timor until such time as
the entity's independent status is formally created, and it is
approved by the United States Board on Geographic Names in other than
a provisional status."  Until the name of the new country is finalized
LC will not modify the G Schedule to include a range of numbers for
the new country.

Barbara Story
Cataloging Team Leader
Geography and Map Division