From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:18:58 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Oversize storage query
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hello, Judith, and colleagues.

If you decide to keep with the system of filing these maps in boxes, my
own preference for filing arrangement would be to go from front to back of
the box.  I would train student employees at the beginning to use that
arrangment.  I would further train student employees to pull any that they
find out of order as they are re-filing these maps, and to file them in
their proper sequence.  I would encourage users not to refile themselves
anything they have pulled out.

My reasoning for the filing arrangement is that this would most likely be
the system, front-to-back, applied to anything filed in a cabinet of
drawers.  In traditional map cabinet drawers, the sequence would be
top-to--bottom, and this mimics that sequence in a horizontal direction.
This was the sequence for filing cards when we used card catalogs before
online catalogs (aka OPACs).

You touch on the idea of discontinuing the separate boxes, of folding them
to be filed with the other maps.  If there are not too many, this may be
the simplest solution.  You have fewer filing locations for staff and
users to need to use.  The difficulty I can see with this choice is that
if there are many of these larger maps, they will add several layers of
bulk to the larger group of filing cases.  Presumably, however, this bulk
would be spread over a large number of filing drawers and not burden the
system.

As for separate classification systems, SuDoc numbers and LC
classification.  I feel your pain in this one, as I have had to work with
separate classification systems for different materials.  However, for
sheet maps I have preferred assigning LC class numbers to those that come
with SuDoc numbers.  In the catalog system we use, I can have a field 086
with a SuDoc number, and use a separate 090 field for a locally assigned
LC class number.  In our catalog the 090 is set to override the 086 as the
displayed call number.  The 086 is still available as an indexed field,
for users or staff who have this number as an identifier for the item.
This assists staff who need to perform activities related to maintenance
of the depository program at the libray.

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA