From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane L Oswald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:32:02 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:52:53 -0500
From: Diane L Oswald <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Question <fwd>
Sender: Diane L Oswald <[log in to unmask]>

Linda B. Johnson,

While working for a commercial company I designed a program where
selected libraries could have their original fire insurance maps
microfilmed at my company's expense. The strength of the program is that
the library had complete control over who did the microfilming - my
company simply paid the bill. We provided a copy of the microfilm to the
libraries and the project seemed to benefit everyone. The library was
able to preserve the original and still make the maps available (via
microfilm) to patrons.

You may want to consider how such a project could benefit the library (a
copy of the digital maps or even have them pay for microfilming) and
decide whether or not you are comfortable having them do the scanning or
if you would prefer someone local.

Best wishes,

Diane L. Oswald
Author, Fire Insurance Maps, Their History and Applications
Lacewing Press 15889 Woodlake Dr. College Station, TX
77845 - $11.95 post-paid for U.S. orders.
--- End Forwarded Message ---