From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Pidwirny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:22:09 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:57:20 -0800
From: Michael Pidwirny <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: World Geography Factbook 2000
Sender: Michael Pidwirny <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Darius,

The information in my World Geography Factbook 2000 comes mainly from
the CIA's World Factbook. I am beginning to supplement this
information with other data sources in the public domain (eg., United
Nations). So new versions will be coming out with more information
about the World's nations. As for the accuracy of my information
compared to the Economist's publication I really can offer any
objective comments. My guess is the CIA's data is more accurate. The
CIA's World Factbook has been annually produced for about 4 decades
and they have many researchers contributing to it. I doubt the
Economist puts much in terms of resources into their publication.

Some data is difficult to measure. For example, the measurement of
coastlines and borders varies with scale. The larger the scale,
generally the longer the coastline because more nooks and crannies
are included. Also, many measurements of nation attributes are
calculated guesses based on a number of assumptions. For example,
population size - many nation's do not carryout accurate counts of
their inhabitants so this attribute must be semi-scientifically
determined through some other means.

Hope these comments help.

Cheers ... Michael

>At 15:09 05/12/00 -0500, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:
>>I would like to announce the availability of World Geography Factbook
>>2000.  World Geography Factbook 2000 is a FREE e-book that runs on
>>personal digital assistants (Palm and Visor handheld computers) using
>>the Palm operating system (it does require the viewing program iSilo
>>which costs $12.50 US - a 30 day demo of this application is included
>>in the download file). This hyperlinked e-book provides up to 94
>>pieces of information for the 201 self-governing countries of the
>>World. A printed copy of the information contained in World Geography
>>Factbook 2000 would require approximately 1600 pages of standard 8.5
>>x 11 inch paper!
>
>I'm sure it is a useful product, and well worth the money (especially
>if it is free :-), but I am curious to know where the "facts" it contains
>come from? I ask because in the past couple of days I have been looking
>at a couple of possible rival products - the on-line CIA Country Fact
>Book (http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/) and The Economist's
>"Pocket World in Figures", 2001 edition (ISBN: 1-86197-238-5). Both claim
>to be completely up-to-date and founded on the most reliable sources
>available.
>
>What was particularly interesting was the wide divergence in the values
>and figures given as "facts" between the entries in each of these two
>sources - in everything from demographic statistics to economic indicators,
>and even parameters such as area of the country and length of border.
>Obviously any such data are likely to have error margins and uncertainty
>attached to them, and many (coastline length for example) will have various
>ways they can be measured.

>Darius Bartlett                                     Darius Bartlett
>Department of Geography                      Roinn na Tireolaiochta
>University College Cork              Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
>Cork, Ireland                                        Corcaigh, Eire
>
>Phone: (+353) 21 490 2835                   Fax: (+353) 21 427 1980
>Phone(GSM): (+353) 86 8238043          Fax (GSM): (+353) 86 8018143
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]                 Web: http://www.ucc.ie/staff/djb
>This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....

Michael Pidwirny, Ph.D., Chair,
Department of Geography,
Okanagan University College,
3333 College Way,