From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Dennis Fitzsimons
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:59:34 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:52:51 -0600
From: "Dr. Dennis Fitzsimons" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: (Fwd) Re: Fw: GIS in the News! <fwd>
Sender: "Dr. Dennis Fitzsimons" <[log in to unmask]>

Sorry... too many inaccuracies here to let this pass.

There is no reason to compare a Peters projection to a Mercator.  Peters is but
one of many "equal-area" projections (and not a particularly good one at that).
The Mercator projection is a mathematically derived (not a "developable"
cylindrical projection) and has the properties of "true shape" (really true
angles) or conformality and "true direction".  For navigation, it is most
valuable for showing a loxodrome or rhumb line... a line of constant compass
bearing... as a straight line.  Only when the loxodrome follows a meridian or
the Equator will the straight line represent the great circle route (shortest
distance).  A projection commonly used for great circle routes is the
Gnomonic.

Lecture over... go in peace.

D.Fitzsimons
Department of Geography