From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:29:13 -0500
Subject:        Please post on MAPS-L
Date:   Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:23:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:   Linda Marston <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hi everyone,

Our library checks out our paper USGS topo maps and other over-size maps
to patrons. We notice that the maps often go out of the library as nice,
flat maps, but come back with penciled notes on the backs or folded and
dirty from use in the field. We are considering creating a hand-out to
include with all maps checked out to patrons. The handout would have
instructions about what patrons can and can't do with the maps, and
remind them to take care of our maps and return them in the same
condition as they were in when checked out.

I'm wondering if there are any libraries that have tried something like
this for their circulating paper maps? Does this work to protect the
maps from abuse or misuse? Are patrons charged to repair or clean-up
returned maps? We're interested in obtaining ideas or policies that
anyone wants to share with us.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

Linda M. Marston

Digital Collections