From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:55:55 -0500
Subject: RE: Atlas Suggestions
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:34:32 -0000
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Dear Joan Goodbody,

One guiding criterion from this side of the pond, regarding place-names as
an essential feature to be critically examined what standard of romanisation
and transliteration is being used in the chosen atlas (both on the maps and
in the gazetteer/index)?

A reputable atlas publisher ought to be using a cartographic firm that
applies the standards, conventions, and recommendations promulgated by your
US Board on Geographic Names.  If the mapping component is 'imported' (e.g.
from Germany) then, in all probability, it won't be following BGN
guidelines.  Look to see how, for example, the Ukrainian placename
'Kiev'/'Kijev'/'Kiyev' (etc.) is shown - instead of in BGN's recommended
form transliterated from the Ukrainian Cyrillic language and alphabet.

Sincerely
(Mr) Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps)
http://www.rgs.org [see 'Collections']