From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:57:58 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:49:33 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: Dial maps?

Our Czech cataloger at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Jean Dickinson,
has recently run across a set of maps that she is trying to catalog.  They
are from 1973 and are about 20 x 21 cm each.  They show things like gas
stations, lodging and telephones depending on how you have turned the dial.
They are constructed with a circle of cardboard inside a square three-sided
cardboard sheath.  There is a grommet in the center holding the two pieces
together.  You turn the inside circular piece and red dots appear through
holes in the square outside sheath.  On the outside of the wheel--or the
dial--is a symbol indicating what the red dots refer to in the holes on the
outside sheath.

The closest thing that I know of like this are some album covers from the
1970s, like Led Zeppelin's first, I believe, where you spin the inside
wheel, or dial, and see various things peeking out from the top of the
album cover.

So, our question is: what is this type of map called?
We are also wondering: does anybody else out there have this set?  It was
published by Orbis and the author, Zdenâek Kondelâik.  There is evidence
that there are ten maps in the set, but we only have six of them?  Does
anyone know if all ten were ever actually produced?

Thanks for any and all leads on this!

Sue Ann

  .
   }
{     Sue Ann Gardner, MLS
. }   N209 Love Library, Cataloging/Maps
{     University of Nebraska-Lincoln
  }   Lincoln, NE  68588-0410
{ .   402-472-3545, 402-472-2534 (fax)
       {