From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katie Lage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:50:28 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:46:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Katie Lage <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Aerial Photographs
Sender: Katie Lage <[log in to unmask]>

UC Santa Cruz has just purchased 2 new aerial photo flights and we are
looking into different ways to label and protect the photos. Our photos
circulate and are have barcodes on them. (The Map Room has a program by
which local consultants contribute to the purchase of aerial photos and,
in return, receive check-out privileges.) We have been having problems
with barcode adhesive migrating and causing the photos to stick together
and we would like to not put any adhesive directly on these new
photographs.

We plan to put all our photos in sleeves (currently only color photos are
in sleeves) and to put the barcodes on the sleeves. However, we need to
property-stamp them and we are concerned that when we check the photos out
they will probably be removed from their sleeves and put back in the wrong
ones, causing an administrative nightmare. We are curious what other map
libraries do to keep track of aerial photos and to address preservation
needs. Please respond to me and I will summarize for the list.

Thank you.
Katie

Katie Lage
Reference Assistant