From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1993 11:24:40 EDT
JK, et al.
     Not only is that a problem, if you have more than 500 of them checked
out on any ONE RECORD (not just copy) we get an ABEND.  THEN it took down the
WHOLE system when someone entered that record in the Public Mode.  OW!  I
heard that scream.
     Our solution, nasty though it was, was to create separate BIB records
with a limit of 500 item records per.  The breakdown is done by date or
geographical area, etc., whatever is most logical for the work in hand.
     If you will never have to worry about 500 being checked out at the same
time, this may not concern you.  We have a storage facility where lesser used
titles are sent and, rather than altering records, we check out the pieces to
the storage facility.  This is why we worry about 500 being checked out at
the same time.
     We have only had to deal with this limit with a few records because we
catalog our topographic maps on separate records by quad title to allow
greater control and information for patrons.

     Good luck.

Debra Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah  84112

   HELP, other NOTIS library users (again!):
   My question is about the NOTIS system-imposed limit
   of 2700 barcoded items per copy.

   We are barcoding sheets in some very large topographic sets.
   When greater than 2700 item records have been built on a single
   copy line, the SUMMARY display for that copy causes a storage
   violation and system crash, I am told.

   Have other map catalogers faced this dilemma; or have you found
   that the limit is different?  Is a second copy control statement
   line used for sheets actually belonging to "copy 1" with a
   copy-level note in HLDG?

   THANKS-
   Joseph K. Herro
   Branner Earth Sciences Library