From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:43:36 -0500
Subject:        RE:Decimal Degrees Coordinates in Map Cataloging
Date:   Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:17:50 -0700
From:   Virginia R Hetrick PhD <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

I second Carlos' comments.  I've spent a significant amount of time
this week working out a small script to do the conversions for the
information I need translated for a field trip we'll be running next
fall.  However, having both ways of expressing the longs and lats
since I will have a number of older folks who learned DMS in school
(and who generally don't seem to have GPS units) as well as a number
of younger people who never did have a clue but who can easily learn
decimal degrees (DD) is what we've decided to do.

So, at this point, the idea is that we'll have one map with the DMS
version of where things are and a second map (on the verso) with the
DD version of the same information.  The area is so small, we're not
worried about the differential lengths of a degree of latitude

The other point is that having both can prove instructive to both groups.

Good idea, Carlos.

Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
Email:  [log in to unmask]
"There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.gif
There's no place like:  34N 8' 25.40", 117W 58'5.36"
if you can't be at:  48N 6' 59.9" 122W 59' 54.2"