From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Richard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:29:40 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 07:54:41 -0700
>From: Steve Richard <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: AGIC-L: Position available, Geologist/GIS technician, Arizona
>Geological Survey

Johnny-
This was posted to AGIC-L; I thought MAPS-L folk might be interested.
Dale

please post:
Geologist/GIS technician
Starting ASAP
Full time, benefited position

The Arizona Geological Survey (Tucson, Arizona) has a position open for a
Geologist to work on building a geologic geographic information system for
the State of Arizona. The principal job function will be preparing digital
geologic maps by digitizing line work from drafted maps and assigning
attributes to points, lines, and polygons as necessary. Digitizing will be
done using Arc/Info and a table digitizer. Other functions will include
collecting geologic data for inclusion in the database, verifying the
accuracy of data, entering or importing data into tables, building metadata
files, and verifying the accuracy of digital data.

We are seeking someone with experience in digitizing geologic maps into
Arc/Info coverages. The successful candidate must be able to accurately
read geologic and geophysical maps. Geologic map reading skills are
necessary to recognize potential errors on source maps and to assure
consistency and accuracy of the database assembled from different map
sources. Other essential qualifications include familiarity with Arc/Info
and ArcView software through experience in digitizing and manipulating
geologic data using this software. Competency in computer operation, using
the Microsoft Windows NT operating system, is essential. A Bachelor's
Degree in geology or a closely related field (e.g. geography) is required.
Only U. S. Citizens or non-citizens with a visa allowing them to work
should apply.

The position is funded for one year, but we hope to continue funding in
subsequent years. The Arizona Geological Survey is embarking on an extended
program to produce the next generation of 1:100,000-scale geologic maps for
the State of Arizona in digital form.

Hiring rate: $12.85/hr ($26,640/yr). We do not have funds for reimbursing
moving expenses

Please send a resume to:
Arizona Geological Survey
416 W. Congress #100,
Tucson, AZ, 85701
Attention: R. McDonnell.

Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.

For more information, please e-mail Stephen Richard at

The State of Arizona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action,
Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
NOTE: The resumes are processed automatically by computer to identify
applicants for any available state positions. To make your resume scannable
use white or light colored standard letter size paper. Make sure the resume
you submit is clean and clearly readable. Use standard typefaces (Arial,
Futura, Optima, Univers, Times New Roman, Palatino, Courier) between 10 and
14 points in size. Use bold face or ALL CAPITAL letters for section
headings as long as the letters don't overlap. Avoid: vertical and
horizontal lines, graphics and boxes; fancy font treatments (italics,
underline, shadows, reverses); two-column formats. Place your name at the
top of the page on its own line. Use a standard format for your address,
and place each phone number you list on a separate line. Describe your
background in detail using concrete, key words rather than vague, fuzzy
descriptions. Use as many pages as you need to provide a clear and detailed
description of your background. Use any standard resume format.
Stephen M. Richard
Arizona Geological Survey
416 W. Congress, #100
Tucson, AZ 85701