From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eustace Frilingos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:28:25 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:13:31 -0500
From: Eustace Frilingos <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Data files with coordinates.

Hi!

I am a historian, not a geographer or a programmer, and I joined this
list because I was told I might find here what I need:  I've written a
program (believe it or not in Quick Basic) that reads a data file with a
series of coordinates and projects them on the screen in any
orthographic projection I want, connecting them, so as to form a rough
outline of the continents.  So far, I have copied almost 800 pairs of
coordinates  from the index of a small but nice pocket atlas.  I haven't
started yet to work with islands and the Antarctica.

The globe looks pretty good already, especially since I separated the
waters from the earth with blue and brown colors against the black chaos
(now that I think of it, it would be a good idea to add a few stars in
the background), and I have added some other things that interest me.
What I would like now to know is where I can find longer data files with
coordinates. Since it takes less than a second to connect these 800
points,  I would like to have a file of say 2 to 3 thousand, of even 5
or 6.  Bigger files would slow down the program, though I would also
like to have a big one from which to copy particular details for areas
that interest me.

Does anybody out there know where I can find such files on the net?

Eustace Frilingos
--- End Forwarded Message ---