From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:17:46 -0400
Subject: NACIS Attendees
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:43:12 -0400
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>

Several of the people attending the North American Cartographic
Information
Society (NACIS) meeting in Jacksonville next week, have asked if the
University of Florida Map & Imagery Library was going to be have a tour
or
field trip.  Unfortunately no one from NACIS contacted us about the
conference.  However, my staff and I are ready to welcome visitors if
any
one wishes to make the trip to Gainesville.  We are located
approximately 65
miles SE from the Conference Hotel.  I will leave for the Conference
around
noon Wednesday Oct 8th but there will be staff members here until
5:00PM.
Please let me know if anyone wishes to visit after the Conference as the
Library is normally closed on Saturday and Sunday but I can make
arrangements if I know ahead of time.

For those who do not know, the University of Florida Map & Imagery
Library
is one of the largest academic map libraries in the U.S.  It has over
500,000 maps, 280,000 aerial photos and satellite images and extensive
CD's
and atlases.  At present we are involved in several scanning projects of
our
holdings which you all  might find interesting.  The original Sanborns
through 1923 have been scanned in color and the USDA archival aerials of
Florida have been scanned from 1930's to 1951.  The Library has received
grant to do the next group through 1968.  In addition hundreds of our
antique maps and modern Florida maps have been scanned.  These were part
of
the Florida Heritage project but the antique maps are continuing to be
scanned.  The Sanborns and aerials are awaiting programming but should
be up
on an Internet site in the near future.  We can show you the test site.
The
antique and Florida maps are now available as part of the PAALM
Project.  If
you wish to view the materials please check out the following website:
http://susdl.fcla.edu/collection.html
<http://susdl.fcla.edu/collection.html>       (click on World Map
Collections)  You will find antique maps for Africa, Latin America and
the
Holy Lands.  These are not duplicates of those on our homepage.

I noticed there is a self guided field trip to St. Augustine listed in
the
program.  It is a great town to tour with wonderful sites, shops and
restaurants, a neat antique map store and a wonderful beach.  It is one
of
my favorite cities.  If anyone wants suggestions for restaurants,
tourist
sites etc. I will be glad to share.

Hope to see you all there next week.  I will be staying in the
Conference
Hotel.
Helen
HelenJane Armstrong PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library                     [log in to unmask]
George A. Smathers Library                      352-392-2828
University of Florida
P.O.Box 117011
Gainesville, FL 32611-7011