From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:25:44 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:22:26 -0500
From: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: CFP: 1999 SSHA, GIS's for historic cities

fyi mapsters, from the H-Urban list! Alice Hudson [log in to unmask]

Author:  Mickey Lauria <[log in to unmask]> at Internet
Date:    1/26/99 12:58 PM

Posted by Humphrey Southall <[log in to unmask]>

This meeting has already been announced;  this is a final call for
papers. We must submit completed sessions to the conference organisers
at the beginning of February, so please send initial expressions of
interest NOW, with titles and single paragraph abstracts as soon as
possible.

The 1999 meeting of the Social Science History Association will be
held in Fort Worth, Texas, November 11-14, 1999.  The 1998 meeting,
in Chicago, featured a strong set of sessions on the historical
applications of Geographical Information Systems featuring speakers
from both North America and Europe, and we hope to have a similarly
strong presence this year but with more focused sessions.

Therefore, while we would be pleased to hear of any possible papers
involving GIS in a historical context, we are particularly seeking
papers for a session on the use of GIS in URBAN history, and on
projects building GISs for specific cities, recording either their
state at a particular point in the past or change over a period,
based on historic maps and other documentary evidence.

On the historical GIS theme, the meeting will also include sessions
on the Irish Famine Atlas, the Newberry Library's Atlas of US County
Boundaries and the dissemination of electronic historical data, plus
A BEGINNERS' WORKSHOP ON HISTORICAL GIS.  The SSHA meeting as a whole
is of course a very large conference with many sessions of interest
to urban historians.

Please send proposals to Anne Knowles ([log in to unmask]) or
Humphrey Southall ([log in to unmask]) but, once again, please
do this quickly.

NB: All we need for now are titles, short abstracts and details of
the author(s) -- including titles, institutional affiliations,
postal addresses, telephone and fax numbers as well as e-mail
addresses.  However, before your paper can appear on the final
program you must register for the meeting and, if not already a
member of the SSHA, join it (not expensive!); the necessary forms
will be sent to you once you are on the provisional programme.

Humphrey Southall
--- End Forwarded Message ---