From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Geggie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:49:38 -0400
At 14:12 00-10-26 -0400, Elisabeth Filar wrote:
  >We have been given a gift of historic air photos of Colorado dating from the
  >the1930s to the 70s. There are various sets of photos from various projects,
  >such as SCS and Forest Service projects. ...
  >we propose to do is set up a project  ArcView where we can "inventory" each
  >photos according to county and project (amongst many other fields). Then we
  >can print graphically and lists of the photos as well as do queries in
  >ArcView to meet specific needs. Comments? Has anyone done something
  > of this sort?

The idea of using Arcview might compliment a proper air photo index, but it
can hardly take the place of a series of index maps which show the flight
lines on topo sheets.

  >What we cannot determine is whether we should physically arrange the
  >photos (in file cabinets now) by project code or by Colorado county.

It doesn't matter so much how you arrange them physically. The boxes of
photos should be numbered to correspond with the roll numbers marked on the
index maps. The rest of the information--the "metadata" (pace that company
that claims copyright on this word)--could then be indexed by whatever rules
library science dictates.

  >filed by project? How do other people have their air photos arranged and
  >indexed?

The National Air Photo Library here in Ottawa at NRCan has the flight lines
indexed on the original paper topo sheets, keyed by roll number, as well as
a new database with the flight lines digitized from the maps. The metadata
(that word again) appears on file cards keyed by roll number, as well as in
the database.

  >Also, what data fields should be included in a database of air-photos?

How about roll number, frame numbers, date of photography, camera and lens
type and serial numbers, indicated altitude, lens focal length, nominal
scale, film type, notes on image quality, film density, etc.

Andrew Geggie
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the policy of the
National Air Photo Library or the department of Natural Resources Canada.

Andrew Geggie, Toponymist
Geographical Names -- Natural Resources Canada
615 Booth St., Room 634
Ottawa, ON Canada K1A 0E9
Tel: 613-947-1140
Fax : 613-943-8282