From:
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:53:57 -0500
Subject:        Map Room space planning
Date:   Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:05:35 -0700
From:   Jones, David (Library) <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Folks

Ours is a large map collection on the main floor of the Science and
Technology Library building.  While we recognize the growing role of
digital geospatial data, this collection of approximately 500,000 sheet
maps continues to be heavily used by students and researchers. The
entire building is undergoing a ‘space  planning’ exercise – looking at
all spaces and functions to determine how best to configure the building
to meet current and emerging service and collection needs of students
and researchers.

While I have some documentation etc. regarding map library activities
(e.g. Laarsgard, ‘Map Librarianship’), and future trends (Parry &
Perkins, ’The map library in the new millennium’) etc., I am hoping some
of you can direct me to some additional recent material to document how
we should be looking at the Map Room itself, it’s physical space,
facilities, etc. in the 21st Century.

Your comments and/or suggested readings will be most appreciated.

Many thanks

David

David L. Jones, Map Librarian
William C. Wonders Map Collection
Science & Technology Library
1-26 Cameron Library
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2J8
voice  (780)492-3433     fax   (780)492-2721
e-mail   [log in to unmask]

PS  - Please excuse any cross-posting.