From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:08:05 -0600
Subject:        Re: [MAPS-L] Looking for slide scanner recommendation
Date:   Tue, 23 Feb 2010 04:25:04 -0800
From:   Virginia R. Hetrick, Ph.D. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Hi, John -

If he's interested in just 35mm slide scanning, I've liked my Nikon
CoolScan since 1996.  It was one of the first 35mm slide scanners and
has a 50 slide magazine connected automatic feeder. I don't know whether
it could also do the 2x2 square slides that were often sold at places
like national parks and other tourist spots in earlier times and that
might be a consideration for your faculty member.

Several things may be different if he buys a new one now.  For one,
parts which are metal in mine may now be plastic and not so durable.
Also, because mine is so old, it is limited to "smaller" dimensions that
most of the current ones I see advertised now.  I also assume that the
interface to any system may be USB or Firewire if he buys one now.  Mine
is nominally SCSI, but I found a SCSI-USB converter cable (at Fry's --
the electronics stores, not the grocery stores in the Rocky Mountain
states).

HTH.

\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
0      Email:  [log in to unmask]
Oo     "There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.gif
There's no place like:  34N 8' 25.40", 117W 58'5.36"
if you can't be at:  48N 6' 59.9" 122W 59' 54.2"