From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:13:14 -0500
Subject:        Re: Cataloging of atlases
Date:   Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:06:29 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Brian,

Just two cents' worth from a maps cataloger on this topic. Yes, the
positive move from describing atlases as a form of cartographic material
instead of a monograph (book) did create a "split" situation in terms of
the types of records residing in most institutions' OPACs. Here at Penn
State the decision was made not to attempt to go back and re-do older
records for atlases, at least for the time being. I suspect that is true
with most institutions because of the need to commit resources to do
such a project, and depending on the size of the local atlas collection
this could be substantial (i.e., the Library of Congress!)

In my own mostly uninformed opinion I would bet that patrons are finding
what they need/want in most cases simply because of the ability to
search online catalogs using keywords. The word "atlas" frequently, but
not always, appears in the title of an atlas (unfortunately, this
applies to non-geographic atlases too--causing occasional problems in
our dept. when an atlas of a mouse ends up in the wrong Teams' hands to
catalog) and is a term that a patron likely would use in a search
algorithm. Also, in terms of subject heading subdivisions, the term
"Maps" is used in the vast majority of cases, again a patron would
likely use this term while searching, and would therefore gather not
only sheet maps but also atlases of a given area.

Anyway, I do hope that you receive responses from map librarians and
other reference librarians who have experience assisting their patrons
to finding that atlas that they need!

Sincerely,

Paige Andrew
Faculty Maps Cataloging