From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:16:14 -0600
Subject:        Re: Historical Topographic Maps!
Date:   Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:28:45 -0800
From:   Smith, Michael <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Kathleen et al.,

UC-Santa Barbara and UC-San Diego have entered into a project with the USGS office in Madison, WI to scan historical topo sheets for California. UCSB will be doing the bulk of the work; UCSD will just be doing San Diego and Imperial counties. I know UCSB has done a lot of scanning already, but there is probably more work to be done after they hire a new map librarian to replace Mary Larsgaard.

I'm still awaiting a list from my contact at USGS as to what editions we will be responsible for. They have scanned all recent editions of 7.5 minute quadrangles for California at 600 ppi, and these have or will be converted to GeoTIFFs and GeoPDFs. So we plan to scan at their 600 ppi standard.

Also, as of mid-November, in addition to their own in-house scanning, the Madison office has a commercial, bidding process in the works for other scanning, and are probably accepting few contributions of collections other than those from California libraries. The only other agreement they are exploring is for Alaska.

I have USGS documentation on the project. If anyone would like copies of this, I'll see what I can do to get a copy to you. Or, if you have specific questions that I can't answer, I can ask my contact at the USGS office. Kathleen, I can ask specifically about the status for Michigan. I suspect the 15' topos will be done, but may not appear on the USGS store until Michigan comes up in their 3-year cycle for the US Topo project.

Regards,

Mike

Michael L. Smith
Map Librarian