From:
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 10:09:45 -0500
Subject: Re: Transferring legacy collections of sheet maps to high
density              storage
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 10:42:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paige G Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Rudolf,

You've got a LOT of questions and good/valid concerns here. I might be
able to help a tad by pointing you to a couple of articles on the topic
of effectively moving major map collections to a different location,
though not necessarily high-density storage. I think the information
will be valuable no matter where or what the remote location would be. I
might add also that when we decided, for storage-stress reasons, to move
the majority of our map sets/series off-site about 3 years ago Marcy
immediately and insightfully noted that we must maintain access to these
at the sheet level for our patrons, and we set up and tackled not only
creating bib. records for the titles needing them but also the more
tedious task of itemizing each sheet involved and its paid off already.
LOTS of part-time student assistance as well as the time of four
catalogers in our department but we completed that project in something
like 14-16 months. Anyway, here's a citation to get you started and I kn!
  ow others have written on this topic in the past (and probably the
first person I know of who moved a major map collection into "condensed"
storage on-site, yet a different scenario, is HelenJane Armstrong,
retired Curator of the Maps Collection at the Univ. of Florida, who I'm
positive had an article published in something like the WAML IB or maybe
the SLA G&M Division Bulletin):

March, Gregory H. "Using AutoCAD to Help Relocate a Map Collection: The
University of Tennessee Libraries' Experience". Journal of Map &
Geography Libraries, vol. 5, no. 2 (2009), pp. 157-173.

Paige