From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:01:31 -0500
Subject:        Re: naming natural features
Date:   Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:21:01 -0400
From:   Jeff Essic <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Ken,

If I were in your situation here in North Carolina, I would get in touch
with our NC Board on Geographic Names to ask these questions and start
the process.  The US BGN has a page that links to all other boards
across the country and Internationally that are of a similar vein at
http://geonames.usgs.gov/links/index.html.  Unfortunately, the Ohio link
is dead, so you might have to do some more digging to figure out who to
contact.  But the process basically involves getting newly named
geographical features and name changes approved at the state level
first, and then they are sent to the US BGN for federal level adoption
into the GNIS, as I understand it.

Best Regards,
Jeff Essic

Jeff Essic, Data Services Librarian
North Carolina State University
D.H. Hill Library, Research & Information Services
Box 7111, Raleigh, NC  27695-7111
(919) 515-5698
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/gis

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Angie Cope, American Geographical