Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:52:41 -0500
Subject:        NEMO 2007 conference: Metadata, Geospatial Access, GeoPortals,
Map competition
Date:   Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:01:33 -0400
From:   Cynthia Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Please join the Northeast Map Organization this June 7-8, 2007 at the
Fashion Institute of Technology, SUNY for our annual meeting to meet with
experts from across the Northeast who will focus on metadata, geospatial
access , geoportals and a map competition for students and professionals
alike.

Our announcement and registration form follow. To assure your place and/or
a room reservation, respond as soon as you can. You can reserve some rooms
for $59.00 per person. Only 150 spots are available at the conference.

Preliminary Program
Annual Meeting of the NorthEast Map Organization (NEMO)
June 7-8, 2007
Fashion Institute of Technology (F.I.T.), State University of New York
David Dubinsky Center, 8th Floor of Bldg. A
27th Street & 8th Avenue
New York, N.Y.

Thursday, June 7, 2007

10:00-1:00PM  Registration: Conference attendance will be limited
to 150.

10:30-11:30AM  Metadata Creation and Import:
• Eric Glass (Columbia U.) on FGDC metadata
• Keith Jenkins (Cornell U.) on metadata editors
• John Sialdone (CIESIN) on ISO metadata
• John Callahan (U. Delaware) on metadata for map services

11:30-1:00PM  Lunch (on your own)

1:00-2:30PM PANEL:  Successes in Optimizing Geospatial Access, or What
ArcIMS Has Meant For Geospatial Access with a focus on:

 Data
 Data management, analysis, and archiving
 Time-versioned content
 Variety of image formats offered
 Data interoperability
 Data error correction
 Collection development
 Access/distribution via server/repository
 Improved competencies with standards
 Interorganizational activities

Panelists
• Moderator: Jeremiah Trinidad-Christensen (Columbia U.)
• Keith Jenkins (Cornell U.)
• John Callahan (U. Delaware)
• Dave Siegel (Harvard U.)
• Rick Lathrop  (Rutgers U.)
• Larry Thornton (NJDEP)

2:30-2:45PM  Break

2:45-4:15PM PANEL: Issues related to GIS Portals (e.g., NEMO, Long
Island, Oceans, etc.) versus GIS Clearinghouses with a focus on:

 Distribution methods/services of Choice
 Standardization for data/web accessibility
 Licensing
 Legal disclaimers
 Intellectual property rights
 Pricing
 Security
 Collection development policy
 Methods of leveraging knowledge construction for decision making,
job creation, and academic and business research

Panelists
• Moderator: Maurie Caitlin Kelly (Penn State’s PASDA)
• Mark Becker (CIESIN)
• Tsering Shawa (Princeton U.)
• John Callahan (U. of Delaware)
• Greg Bonynge (U. of Rhode Island)
• Steve Romalewski (OASIS)
• Harvey Simon (EPA Region II)

4:15-4:30PM  Break

4:30-5:30PM  "How the British Mapped the Province of New
York, 1720-1775", David Y. Allen, Prof. Emeritus, Stony Brook University

5:30-6:30PM  Informal Social Hour (nearby locale)
6:30-9:00PM  Dinner at F.I.T.
   Mapping the News: The latest and best in mapping
techniques
   Matthew Ericson et al., The New York Times

Friday, June 8, 2007

8:30-9:00AM  Registration

8:30-9:30AM Breakfast/Map Competition Awards (see
http://www.northeastmap.org/ for Map Competition Announcement)

 Map Competition Judges
• Mike Hermann (University of Maine)
• Michael Leitner (Louisiana State University)
• Michael Siegel (Rutgers U.)
• Joseph Stoll (Syracuse U.)
• Doug Williamson (Hunter College)

9:30-10:30AM  Business Meeting

11:00-1:00PM  NY Public Library Tour and Refreshments

1:00-2:00PM  Lunch (on your own)

2:00-3:00PM  The New York Times Tour

LOCATION:  Fashion Institute of Technology (F.I.T.), State
University of New York
Breakfast, snacks and dinner provided.
Easily accessible dormitory and other reasonably priced housing options
will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Travel directions, and quick, nearby lunch options will be provided.

QUESTIONS:

If you have any questions about registration, contact Angelique Jenks-Brown
Telephone (607) 777-4596    e-mail: [log in to unmask]
If you have any questions about the program, contact Cynthia Dietz
Telephone (631) 632-1159    e-mail: [log in to unmask]

The North East Map Organization Annual Meeting
June 7-8, 2007

Registration fees:

Event Single/Couple Student
Registration (includes dinner June 7 & breakfast June 8) $100 / $155
 $55
Room registration (postmarked by 1 May 2007) See below
Onsite Registration (excludes dinner & breakfast) $100 / $155 $55
Friday pass (if available) 30 25
Dinner pass (if available) 30 25
Breakfast pass (if available) 10 10

NOTE: No mail-in registrations will be accepted after 24 May 2007
Conference attendance will be limited to 150 registrants.

Onsite registration for the Conference, our Friday schedule, dinner, or
breakfast may not be available if our registration limit has been filled.

Housing:

Suite reservations at F.I.T. for any of the days between June 6-9th 2007
are due by May 1, 2007.  Rooms there may be available as late as one day
before arrival, but are not guaranteed. Group rates apply only if our
reservations total ten people or more. If enough people wish to make a long
week-end out of the conference, this is the only facility offering a group
rate to us.

Rooms at the Hotel Riverside for June 7, 2007 are due on May 1, 2007.

Try to register early. One location that promised us rooms is already
booked.

Hotel Group Rates Per Night Single Double
Fashion Institute of Technology suites with private bath and kitchen (1-4
blocks from conference site)* $95.00 $118.00 ($59.00/person)
Hotel Riverside (60 blocks from conference site, on West 88th St. in quiet
neighborhood, 6 blocks from subway)# $125.00 $150.00 ($75.00/person)
* Does not include linens or kitchen equipment
# Hotel Riverside rooms may be reserved for only one night: June 7, 2007.
There reservations need to be postmarked by May 1, 2007.

Alternate room reservations may be made at local hotels, including:

Hotel Location Single Rate
La Quinta Manhattan 17 West 32nd St.
New York, NY 10001
(212)736-1600 $209.99+
Comfort Inn Midtown 42 W. 35th St.
New York, NY 10001
(212) 947-0200 $209.99+
Super 8 Times Square 59 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036
800-848-0020 $209.99+
Ramada Inn Eastside 161 Lexington Avenue
New York City, NY, 10016
(212) 545-1800 $209.99+
Red Roof Inn Manhattan 6 West 32nd Street
New York, NY 10001
(212) 643-7100 $209.99+
Radisson Martinique on Broadway 49 West 32nd St.
New York, NY 10001
(212) 736-3800 $299+

For the hotels listed above not providing group rates, check online for
directions, room availability, and the closest parking garage. Note that
garages may charge $40-$100 a day. Neither F.I.T. or Hotel Riverside
provide parking space.

Directions:

Please visit the NEMO Conference web page for directions.
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/asl/maps/nemo/nemo2007.html

Registration Form:

The conference registration form will be found on the NEMO website
(http://www.northeastmap.org/). Program details will be updated as items
are confirmed. We encourage you to use the attached registration and room
reservation form as soon as possible to avoid possible disappointment.

The North East Map Organization Annual Meeting
June 7-8, 2007
Registration Form

Registration by mail closes Thursday, May 24, 2007.
Registration for housing must be postmarked by Tuesday, May 1, 2007.

First Person
Name
 :_____________________________________________________
Institution
 :_____________________________________________________
Email Address :_____________________________________________________
Mailing Address :_____________________________________________________

Second Person
Name
 :_____________________________________________________
Institution
 :_____________________________________________________
Email Address :_____________________________________________________
Mailing Address :_____________________________________________________

Registration Fees:  One Person ($100)
 ____________
Two People ($155)    ____________
Student ($55)     ____________
Housing:   F.I.T. Suit Single ($95)
 ____________
    F.I.T. Suit Double ($118 or $59/person)
 ____________
    Hotel Riverside Single ($125)
 ____________
    Hotel Riverside Double ($150 or $75/person)
___________
--------------------------------
Total:
 ____________

Make checks payable to: “NEMO” or “North East Map Organization”

Please mail this completed form and your payment to: Angelique Jenks-
Brown
        Science
Library
        P.O. Box
6012
        Binghamton,
NY 13902-6012
If you have any questions:
Program & local knowledge – Cynthia Dietz (631)632-1159,
Registration – Angelique Jenks-Brown (607)777-4596, [log in to unmask]

Comments or Special Needs: