From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:02:07 -0400
Subject: 534 Field
   Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:01:54 -0700
   From: Margarita Yonezawa <[log in to unmask]>

I am fairly new to cataloging in general, and completely new to map
cataloging. I have some questions concerning the 534 field.

There are times when we receive books that should have a map in the
pocket,
but has gone missing. In those cases I will send for a copy of the item
and
reproduce it by scanning, and printing the item out. For that instance
is
it only necessary to use the 530 field for a note?

There are other instances when I have gone in search of a geologic map
only
to discover that the map is missing from the envelope. In those
instances
again I will obtain another copy via ILL and scan then print the item
out.
My understanding is that in this instance I would use the 534 field.
What
confuses me is what the field needs to contain. Especially since I am
making a reproduction from an exact copy of what is missing. Would I
also
change the 300 field and add a 530 note in this instance?

My last question if for an original item and a reproduction of the same
item. Would I need to make to separate records for each copy?

I would appreciate any help and guidance.
Thank you.
Margarita Yonezawa
Map Collection Assistant