From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:54:16 -0500
Subject:        Lookin for maps of San Juan, PR - 1805 to 1851
Date:   Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:45:28 -0400
From:   Thornberry, Evan <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship
([log in to unmask]) <[log in to unmask]>

Hi all,

I have a patron interested in maps of San Juan, Puerto Rico from 1805 to
1851.  She is trying to determine the dates of construction of the
Miraflores Canal which separates Miraflores Island from the mainland.
The earliest map we have found showing the canal is located in David
Rumsey’s collection from 1851
(http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/s/z9i6bb (located in the San
Juan inset map)).

Any information, maps or otherwise, on the topic of the canal’s
construction is appreciated. Nuestro españolesun poco malo.

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Thornberry

Cartographic Preservation and Reference Assistant

Norman B. Leventhal Map Center at the Boston Public Library

700 Boylston Street

Boston, MA  02116

617-859-2140