From:
Dennis McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 16:27:29 EDT
>The USGS has a digital file format DLG (Digital Line Graph) the map entities
>are assigned an attribute code both major and minor.  My question is there a
>color convention or practice for the DLG Attributes, or is there a
>Cartographic convention or standard that colors things like streams, rivers,
>roads, trails, political boundaries, administrative boundaries, The list
>goes on and on.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like the color conventions would
be the ones used on the appropriate paper map series.  DLGs are largely
digitized from existing paper map series.  Using the paper-map color
conventions that people are familiar with would give a DXF file that looked
like a map.

>Why I am asking is that I am assisting the development of a DLG to DXF
>converter. the DXF format will allow the DLG files to be imported into many
>graphic programs and CAD  Programs.

I'd be interested in learning more about this software when it's done.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics     [log in to unmask]