Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:32:59 -0500
forwarded from h-histgeog
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        GIS in historical research
Date:   Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:28:58 -0600
From:   Sam Otterstrom <[log in to unmask]>

From: Torsten Reimer [[log in to unmask]]
Date sent: 12 Apr 2007

Dear colleagues,

The AHRC ICT Methods Network, a UK initiative for the exchange and
dissemination of expertise in the use of ICT for arts and humanities
research, has launched an online forum on the 'digital' aspects of
historical research:

Tools and Methods for the Digital Historian
http://www.digital-historian.net is the first of a set of online
discussion groups related to Methods Network activities and resources
and is a forum for open discussion of all issues relating to digital
history. In particular we invite comments on a working paper by Neil
Grindley (Methods Network) entitled 'Tools and Methods for Historical
Research' which we hope will become the basis of a community resource.

This paper contains sections on: Tools and Web Resources; Database
Structures; Data Mining; Quantitative Methods; and Visualization.
Members of this list might be especially interested in the section about
Geographical Information Systems. We are keen on getting more input and
would very much like to include your feedback in future versions of the
paper.

The paper can be downloaded from our website at:
http://www.methodsnetwork.ac.uk/resources/workingpapers.html

If you have any questions regarding 'Digital Historian' or the Methods
Network in general please do note hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,
Torsten
--
Torsten Reimer