From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:33:39 -0500
Subject: RE:  Maps in Remote Storage
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:19:34 -0600
From: Coombs, James A <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>,
Jenny Marie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Jenny,

When we had maps in remote storage, they were stored flat on open
double-wide shelving.  The maps we remotely stored were the old AMS
series.  We arranged them by LC call number.  We kept the index maps in
the Map library, and when a patron wanted one, I would take the index
map with me to remote storage and retrieve the sheets.  I rolled them up
and tubed them.

The maps were packed up in big moving cardboard boxes and moved by
student volunteers, who unfortunately missed the part about putting them
on the shelves in call number order.  They just grabbed them by the hand
fulls and put them on shelves willy-nilly.  I put them back in order as
I went there to find requested sheets.

Jim

Jim Coombs
Map Librarian