From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 07:36:04 -0600
Subject:        Re: Inquiry from government documents librarian about
classification systems used for USGS 7.5 minute topographic maps
Date:   Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:09:58 -0500
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

One of the joys of the USGS 7.5 minute topo series is that the indexes ARE
better than a catalog. It would be a lot of work to create individual
records for these, much less to add SuDoc numbers (LC would be complete
overkill).

If those indexes did not exist, then one of us in the map cataloging world
might think about developing an index (I have some small selected indexes
like this for in-house use).

That is why I guard the indexes as well as I can.

Having said this, here at UB we did create individual records for NY and PA
topos (only a handful are created records on OCLC). The maps are still
filed alphabetically, but it was decided here that their higher use would
be helped by having more access points than just the state name.

The rest of the states have a base record, then on these all state maps
have their barcodes added (for circ use).

I have been asked to consult on this with a few map collections, and I
suggest always that cataloging time is better spent on the items that do
not have indexes or easy modes of access.

It seems to me that I was in a collection many years ago where they did put
a SuDoc number on them but I still cannot figure out why anyone would want
to. (I don't remember the collection, it was many years ago--back in the
pre-online stage (card catalogs)).

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-1672

716-645-1332
716-645-3710 (fax)

--On Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:44 AM -0600 Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>