From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:18:49 -0500
forwarded from Carta-L

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Geospatial technologies in the liberal arts conference
Date:   Fri, 12 Jun 2009 06:14:32 -0400
From:   Marcel Fortin <[log in to unmask]>

http://gisatvassar.blogspot.com/2009/06/call-for-presentations-geospatial.html

We are very pleased to announce a Call for Presentations for the
upcoming conference "Geospatial Technologies in the Liberal Arts" to be
held September 25-27, 2009, at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, NY.
This event is a community effort organized by GIS professionals in the
liberal arts, with logistical support from NITLE <http://www.nitle.org/>
(see below for planning members and contact information). Our goal is to
create and participate in a geospatial conference focusing on issues
common to smaller educational institutions, such as GIS management and
support, and to consider how we can adapt to rapid advances in the
mapping industry and research. We also seek to sustain the progress that
NITLE institutions have made in GIS development and promote educational
innovation for digital mapping in the liberal arts.

We are now looking to those of you who have been innovators in areas of
geospatial visualization, support, teaching, and data management to
offer presentations, panels, or workshops at this event.

In this spirit, we invite your ideas for sessions in the following areas:

* Interactive map visualizations and web-mapping applications in
teaching and learning
* Virtual earths in the classroom: examples, methods, and implications
for GIS in higher education
* Best practices for geospatial data collection, documentation,
delivery, and protection
* The use of GPS-enabled technologies and similar mobile technologies to
support spatial studies and research
* Mapping/Cartography to support critical thinking, numeracy, and
spatial competency
* Effective assessment of maps: rubrics for projects/presentations by
students and professionals alike
* Open-source map-serving solutions - MapServer / GeoServer /
Postgres+PostGIS. How have these geospatial tools been implemented on
campus? What are their benefits and drawbacks? How do they compare to
the commercial options, such as ArcGIS Server?

If you are interested in contributing to this effort, please review the
Call for Presentations - http://tinyurl.com/geoconferenceCFP
<http://tinyurl.com/geoconferenceCFP> (.pdf, 30.7 KB) and then submit
your proposal(s) at - http://tinyurl.com/Geospatial
<http://tinyurl.com/Geospatial>. Additional conference information,
including instructions for registration is available at
-http://tinyurl.com/geoconference <http://tinyurl.com/geoconference>

Proposals must be submitted by *July 31, 2009*. Notification(s) of
acceptance will be returned by August 14th, 2009. The conference
registration deadline is *August 28th, 2009*. As with other NITLE
events, speakers and participants will be responsible for registration
and travel related costs.

Questions or suggestions can be addressed to myself, Alex Chaucer
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, or any of the other conference organizers:

Andy Anderson <mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Amherst College
Jon Caris <mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Smith College
Jenni Lund <mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Wheaton College
Sharron Macklin <mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Williams College
Meg Stewart <mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Vassar College
David Tatem <mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Trinity College

If you have questions related to NITLE, please contact Sean Connin
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

We look forward to hearing from you!