From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caplan,Ellen
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:30:32 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:37:12 -0500
>From: "Caplan,Ellen" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: OCLC TB227--additional information

I posted an announcement yesterday concerning OCLC's implementation of the
Bibliographic Update 1998.  In addition to the change for FICT in the fixed
field and 006, there are two other points I would like to bring to your
attention.

1.  Tags 780 and 785.  Second indicator value '8' was not defined for the
780 and 785 tags.  '8' is not valid for tag 780.  For tag 785, value '8' has
the meaning "Changed back to".  You may want to modify your copy of TB227.

2.  An error caused some problems with CONSER replaces and adds.  Tag 850
was deleted from records that were replaced and was not included in records
added on Sunday, October 25 and Monday, October 26.  The software was
modified on Monday and all records input or replaced beginning Tuesday are
correct.  Robert Bremer is working with CONSER participants on recovering
the deleted 850 fields.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Ellen Caplan

Ellen R. Caplan
OCLC, Inc.
Collections & Technical Services Division
6565 Frantz Rd.
Dublin OH  43017
800-848-5878 (voice)
614-718-7178 (fax)