From:
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1993 15:42:18 EDT
======================================================================== 70

Philip:   In your earlier message today you asked:

----------------------------------
Best of luck - has anybody else used more sophisticated self-monitoring to
justify their activities?

Philip Guest
Carto-bibliographic project
University of Manchester
-----------------------------------

Here at the University of Georgia we do monitor the collection activities in a
semi-sophisticated manner.  It is done to justify the collection and to plan,
especially collection development (I have changed the Collection Development
Policy several times because of the use statistics we generate).
User counts are recorded.  Records are kept of circulation and pick-up counts.
This data is recorded by status (Faculty, Grad., Undergrad., Other) and by type
of material (Air photo, atlas, map;  usgs topo series, thematic, etc.) and by
geographical areas (GA, SE US, West US, Europe, Asia, etc.).
If you want more info I will be glad to send it to you.

Johnnie Sutherland,  University of Georgia

'  Johnnie D. Sutherland           JSUTHERL@UGA              '
'  Curator of Maps                 [log in to unmask]   '
'  Map Collection                                            '
'  Science Library                 Phone: 706-542-0690       '
'  University of Georgia           FAX:   706-542-6523       '
'  Athens, Georgia  30602-7412                               '