From:
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 17:26:18 EST
3 messages.----------Johnnie

-------------------------------

>Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 11:11:10 -0700 (PDT)
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Map of NWFP, Pakistan

Mr Knudsen:

I have frequently relied on the old (pre-1948) Survey of India
topographic series for maps relating to the Northwest Frontier Province
(NWFP). They are very thorough and still reliable. Current Survey of
Pakistan maps can be difficult to locate outside of Pakistan, though
there is a Map Sales Office in Rawalpindi (the headquarters). Also,
because the area is militarily sensitive, newer maps might be wholly
unavailable.

When in the NWFP, I acquired excellent district maps attached to reprints
of the remarkable District Gazetteer series. Reproduction was not the
best, but serviceable. The Gazetteers themselves are superb resources for
information and they were revised in the 1960's. Many libraries have the
series, plus they can usually be purchased in bookshops in Lahore,
Rawalpindi/Islamabad, and Peshawar itself.

If you have access to WorldCat you can perhaps locate the district maps by
district title, and lists of libraries with the item are given. Russell
Guy of Omnimap has good connexions on esoteric maps available for
purchase at http://www.omnimap.com

The 1:1 million scale International Map of the World has good coverage of
northern Pakistan, and is widely available in many libraries.

I can supply information on the Survey of India maps scale, address of
Survey of Pakistan, etc. if you wish.
Good Luck!

Brian P. Bach
Map Technician
Central Washington University Library
email: [log in to unmask]

 On Thu, 19 Dec
1996, Are Knudsen wrote:

> Dear Listmembers:
>
> I am Norwegian anthropologist working with
> Northern Pakistan, in particular the North West
> Frontier Province of Pakistan. I am searching for
> topographical maps of three districts in  the NWFP:
> District Kohistan, District  Mansehra and  District Swat .
> Can  anyone give me an idea of which maps to search for
> and where to find them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> are..
> +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> Are J. Knudsen, Doctoral fellow
> Chr. Michelsen Institute  Phone: (+47) 55 57 42 40
> Fantoftvegen 38           Fax:   (+47) 55 57 41 66
> N-5036 Fantoft            mailto:[log in to unmask]
> Norway                    http://www.bgnett.no/~arek/

>Date:         Thu, 19 Dec 96 13:58:17 EST
>From:         Reidun Nuquist <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Map of NWFP, Pakistan

Are Knudsen:
   Vi har topografiske kartblad i maalestokk 1:250,000 fra 1964 fra United
States Army Map Service.  Jeg har ikke studert dem nok til aa vite om de
dekker Kohistan, Mansehra og Swat provinsene, men de ser ut til aa dekke hele
Pakistan.  Dette kartsettet er sikkert vanlig i amerikanske biblioteker som
horer til Federal Depository Library Program.  Jeg vet ikke om de er tilgjeng-
lige i Europa.  De nyere kartene vaare er i storre maalestokk.
   God jul fra Vermont!
                                                         Reidun Nuquist
Reidun Dahle Nuquist, Reference Librarian   E-post: [log in to unmask]
Documents & Maps Department                 Tlf.: 802-656-3028
Bailey/Howe Library                         Fax: 802-656-4038
University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405-0036
USA

>Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:59:09 +1100
>From: Sugandha Johar <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Map of NWFP, Pakistan

Hi,

Ususally it is rather difficult to get current maps of South Asia. However,
as South ASia was a part of the British Empire, the archives are the best
place to look for these maps, and then photocopy/phtograph them.

Sugandha